Keeping Entertainment Live on the Costa Blanca

Genral chat on UK & Spain here.

Moderator: AdminII

Keeping Entertainment Live on the Costa Blanca

Postby showtime » 28 Jul 2014, 14:58

For my first post on this subject I am sharing the press release that is going out to both local and international media.

The Epidemic That is Sweeping Spain’s Costa Blanca

There has been a virus that has now reached epidemic proportions on Spain’s Costa Blanca area. Away from the bright lights, bars and hotel of Benidorm, where entertainment is readily available to everyone, there is a very different Spain not more than one hour’s drive away.

Below Alicante, thousands of expats from all over Europe have made new lives by buying homes and businesses. Many now risk having their livelihoods and life savings destroyed by daily closure and fining of bars who have live entertainment. With Spain’s economy being based on the tourist Euro this lack of entertainment is having a dire effect on everyone who lives there.

As a mainly residential and holiday home area, places like Cuidad Quesada and Los Montesinos and other areas depend on income mainly made during the holiday season from holiday lets and the residents who live all year round in these areas. But all that is now in danger with local police having to close and fine local businesses that have had live entertainment because one or two people complained. One local bar was recently fined a crippling 3 thousand Euros. There is an irony in the laws concerning live music it seems as during the summer months in particular there are fiestas in every town in village along the Costa with very loud live music being played until, in some cases 6am.

Many people came to Spain expecting to enjoy the good life, which included being able to go out of an evening and sit in the sun to enjoy live music. That is now getting to be a thing of the past, and with the reduction in bars that are allowed to have live entertainment many acts are returning to the UK. Houses now stand empty or sit for years with for sale notices on them, and all business in the effected area struggle from day to day in the hope that something will change, or until they too have to give up and “go home”.

A group was recently set up to discuss this problem in the hope that a solution can be found on Facebook. Keep Entertainment Live on The Costa Blanca received over 800 members in the first 24 hours of its creation, and members are working towards creating awareness of the sad situation and decline of what for most people who moved to Spain a better and more relaxed lifestyle. Sadly it seems that many will not be able to achieve this dream.
showtime

Re: Keeping Entertainment Live on the Costa Blanca

Postby showtime » 28 Jul 2014, 15:03

As this issue effect every person living in this area we have set up a facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/573526356093152/

Love it or hate it - without something for the tourists to see and do, they aren't going to come, and that means no money coming in, no jobs, no shops, and none of the services that we have gotten used to.
showtime

Postby brandyboy » 28 Jul 2014, 15:11

Way to go Jax....Let's hope you make them sit up and listen.. :boomtish:

John x
brandyboy

Postby showtime » 28 Jul 2014, 15:19

Thanks Brandyboy, I do hope you have joined the facebook group. You will not believe what has been happening to people. It's just crazy!
showtime

Postby Rockerbilly » 28 Jul 2014, 15:33

Welcome Jax, hope this works for you :Cheers:
Mycostaforums, The Best Torrevieja Forum
Rockerbilly
Mod

Postby showtime » 28 Jul 2014, 17:51

Police waiting outside some bars.
Keep Entertainment Live on The Costa Blanca

So now I hear that charity gigs and even churches cant have vocalist. Where will it all end?
showtime

Postby brandyboy » 28 Jul 2014, 18:16

showtime wrote:Thanks Brandyboy, I do hope you have joined the facebook group. You will not believe what has been happening to people. It's just crazy!

Of course I have...

John x
brandyboy

Postby jak2095 » 28 Jul 2014, 22:32

There's another side to this.
How many of these bar owners have acted irresponsibly in residential areas by having 'music' blaring out?
How many have plotted their own doom?
I was invited to a restaurant on Quesada and we sat eating on the terrace. A four piece group were setting up ready to play, they were effectively setting up in the street.
They started playing and I thought my chest was going to cave in the music was SO loud, we had to run inside to finish our meal.
This was, in effect, four wallies indulging themselves at the expense of the hundreds/thousands of residents for miles around. Did they think they were in Wembley stadium?
Ask yourselves, how long was that going to be allowed to go on?
I enjoy live entertainment and I am saddened to see what is becoming a blanket ban but there are two sides to this story and I'm sure that if a little self discipline had been applied, the situation would not be as it is now.
Easy, Easy, oh so Easy.
jak2095

Postby showtime » 29 Jul 2014, 11:21

I do agree with you Jak about there being a limit to the noise level in built up areas for music. They do actually exist, and some bar owners are letting the side down by not complying with these. Most of the entertainers on our group are aware of what the limits should be, and even have the app for it. None of us like having our ear drums blown out.

The problems seems to be that those who are within the law, and trying to do their job are being penalized for those few who think they can do as they wish. We are trying to get this sorted, as different areas are working within different limits and it has become confusing for everyone. There is also no choice to the sound limits when it comes to Spanish fiestas, and I think you have to agree that they make more noise and for longer than any bar with live entertainment could sustain. Try and make a complaint about them and see what happens - zilch.

We all know that we are working and living in another country that has a different set of ethics, traditions and rules. But what we are trying to do it make it plain to all concerned what those rules are, so that the larger majority of people can enjoy their lives here. There is always a choice of places to go here at the minute. I frequently go to a bar that just has background music when I want to go out for a chat. But without the live entertainment as a choice, this area will become a ghost town. So many businesses rely on the tourist trade, and that all hangs on people wanting to come to this area. The decline in numbers of both tourists and residents is directly linked to the entertainment available.

Oh and one other point. The bands who do play too loud are finding that they are not getting the bookings from agents and other entertainment agencies. We know who they are, and their days will be numbered if they don't change how they operate.
showtime

Postby showtime » 10 Aug 2014, 14:35

Just to let you know that it has only been 2 weeks and already our numbers on the group have grown to over 1800. There is now a list going around for people interested in signing the online petition, which we will need 30,000 signatures for. Anyone wanting this can email me at keepitliveonthecostablanca@gmail.com You don't have to be on the Costa Blanca as this petition is for the whole of Spain. Names and email addresses will need to be sent back to me so that everyone can get the link.

We are currently setting up a meeting with local councillors, Mayors and other interested parties to discuss the way forward and set up the exact wording of the petition which is going to the Spanish Prime Minister and the European Parliament.
showtime

Postby Rockerbilly » 11 Aug 2014, 10:00

Thanks for the update Jax :thanks: :Cheers:
Rockerbilly
Mod

Postby Rockerbilly » 13 Aug 2014, 16:48

10561725_10152355515213918_25389587463980046_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rockerbilly
Mod

Postby showtime » 24 Aug 2014, 11:45

The 2 petitions are now ready to be signed. We are asking the Spanish Government and the EU to allow a Summer Licence for all licensed venues to be allowed to have live music both inside and outside between June and September from 8pm to 12am. The full petitions can be read by clicking on the links below.

PLEASE CHOOSE ONLY ONE! The Peticion Publica is the most important one to sign.

If you have an NIE you can sign by clicking on this link Petition if you have an NIE/DNI
The petition takes one minute or less to sign. Firmar - means sign, click that. Enter you full name (nombre completo), Email and NIE, commentarios - means comments. Not worth doing unless you do it in Spanish. Unclick the boxes at the bottom or you will be sent junk mail from them. Finally click the Firmar button and you are done! The confirmation will be sent to your email address. Each person needs a separate email to sign. Don't forget to check your Junk box as the confirmation may be in there.
Finally share with your friends so they can sign too please.

If you do not have an NIE, but support the cause please click on this link -Petition for NONE NIE holders

YOUR SUPPORT IS NEEDED TO GET SOME CHANGES MAKE. Thank you for signing. Viva La Musica en Vivo!
showtime

Postby Inspector » 24 Aug 2014, 15:48

Signed. Well done everyone for raising awareness!
Inspector

Postby showtime » 24 Aug 2014, 16:05

And thank you too for signing. Please tell your friends.
showtime

Next

Return to General Chat - UK & Costa!