Beware using your Spanish bank cards for petrol in France

Want to know how to do something? Fed up with a supplier? Want to help others by giving the benefit of your experience? Put it in here please.... and keep the banter to a minimum

Sponsored by http://www.torrevieja-property-management.com/

Moderator: AdminII

Beware using your Spanish bank cards for petrol in France

Postby nigelandkath » 03 May 2017, 20:57

A note of caution as we don't yet know what is going on but we have a couple of issues with French petrol stations where we have bought fuel with our Spanish La Caixa bank card. First one with Total fuel where they charged our card correctly on Sunday but then today they have taken out the same amount again. Secondly Shell have taken out 125 euros for a 36 euro fuel bill. We went back to the shell station and they have said its a bank issue but our bank manager has said he has never heard of such a thing. So guess we will be in dispute somewhere. Gawd help us.

Anyway. please beware
nigelandkath

Re: Beware using your Spanish bank cards for petrol in Franc

Postby bridgie » 04 May 2017, 09:54

The situation with Shell happened to us in NZ, they do credit the amount back in a few days.... threw us a bit too!

Marian
bridgie

Postby freddo » 04 May 2017, 12:16

The French stations have been doing this for years
freddo

Postby nigelandkath » 04 May 2017, 17:00

Well how come this issue has never been highlighted before by anyone. I put on a post about travelling from Spain through france to Calais Eurotunnel on a couple of forums including this one and no one mentioned this, and also looked on trip advisor, used viamichelin and no one has ever said beware using your debit/credit cards. This has caused us untollled headaches especially as it has caused us to overdraw on one of our accounts.
We have rung our La Ciaxia bank manager who said he knew nothing of the practice although now the fraud number on our cards that we have now rung when we spoke to an English speaking fraud officer said both practices were common in France, but it didn't help us until now. It's just caused us major stress we could have done without.
nigelandkath

Postby derekbroad » 09 May 2017, 11:07

Well, thank you very much indeed for bringing this to our attention. I have not heard of this before, either.
I will certainly be checking my bank card receipts very closely when travelling.
derekbroad

Postby nigelandkath » 09 May 2017, 13:42

It's a pre authorisation on the pump and it takes the maximum amount the pump will dispense at one time, in our case 125 euros. That is shell. Now Total took the right amount pre authorised and then again a few days later so I am expecting them to refund one of these payments in due course. the 125 has now been refunded and the correct 36.01 taken. But without knowing we drove back to the petrol station to query it at the fuel station, however trying to explain and understand in French was not easy. They just said it was a bank issue nothing to do with the petrol station itself, so what do you do. There was no answer obtained really that we understood so we just had to trust it would be ok in the end as we had to continue our journey. If you research this you can find plenty of questions on it.
nigelandkath

Postby derekbroad » 09 May 2017, 18:33

I'd be interested to know if the extra Total payment is refunded, please keep us posted. Thanks again.
derekbroad

Postby nigelandkath » 10 May 2017, 11:28

So far no, but hoping. Certainly won't be using cards on the way back. We have emailed our bank for an explanation as well.
nigelandkath

Postby nigelandkath » 11 May 2017, 11:42

Derek. today the 43.03 has been refunded plus La Caixia has given us 25 euros for our inconvenience. All good for us but it could have been a lot more of an issue had it caused us to go overdrawn
nigelandkath

Postby derekbroad » 12 May 2017, 21:50

As you say, it could have caused you bigger trouble. Anyway, at least the bank has recognised the problems caused and my guess is that once it costs the banks, the petrol companies will quick be stopped from carrying on in this way.
Thanks very much again for the heads up, I´m pleased it is all sorted now.
derekbroad

Return to Members Advice